The cooperation mechanism(IP BRICS) among the BRICS IP offices aims at enhancing the value of IP and ensuring its contribution to the economic development and growth in the BRICS countries. The cooperation was originated from the Informal Heads Consultation of IP BRICS in Geneva, Switzerland in 2012.
The Partners are：
- the National Institute of Industrial Property (INPI- BRAZIL)
- the Federal Service for Intellectual Property (Rospatent- RUSSIA)
- Patents, Designs and Trade Marks of the IP Office (CGPDTM-INDIA)
- the China National Intellectual Property Administration (CNIPA- CHINA)
- the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC-SOUTH AFRICA)
CIPC-SOUTH AFRICA hosted the first BRICS Heads of Intellectual Property Offices Meeting in Magaliesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa on 14 – 16 May 2013 in which a cooperation Roadmap for BRICS IP cooperation was adopted.
Over the next 10 years, the BRICS IP Offices continuously explore their cooperation scope, which at present not only covers patent , but also expand to the areas of trademark, and industrial design. Accordingly, the cooperation streams, which play an important role to effectively promote the cooperation ever since the Roadmap adopted in 2013, further increase to help secure more deliverables. Currently there are 8 cooperation streams, including:
- Training of Intellectual Property Office Staff and Examiner Exchange
- National IP Strategy and Promotion of Public Awareness on IP
- Information Services on IP
- IP/Patent Processes and procedures
- IP Strategies for SMMES
- Collaboration in International Forums
- Industrial designs
In addition, ongoing exchanges and discussions also involve a variety of topics such as responses to digital and new emerging technologies, achieving United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals in the IP field, etc.